Friday, September 19, 2008

November voting

I just sent this to my parents and my aunt. I wonder what kind of reaction I'll get.....oh, and I appologize in advance if anyone is offended by this, but it's how I feel and that's what my blog is for - to share my feelings....btw, this is just a California proposition.

I know I've never really discussed politics with you guys before, but with Absentee Ballots going out soon, I need to ask a favor.

Vote NO on Prop 8.

If there's a ban on gay marriage, there's a pretty good chance neither I nor any of my friends could ever be legally married in this state. Not only is the ban unconstitutional, it's unethical, immoral, and, quite frankly, unfair. If you all can get married, then so should every other consenting adult.

I'm not usually into politics at all, but this is something that really hits close to home with me, so I hope that you choose your vote wisely and see that the ban would never make me equal with any of you.

The want for the ban is because the religious right-wing believes that gay people are an abomination against God. They also believe that marriage is for a man and woman so they can procreate and make more hateful bible thumpers. If this second reason is true, then they shouldn't allow people to get married who have no intention of having children. But I think we all know that marriage isn't just about babies - it's about showing the world that we love someone and are commited to them completely, and for the rest of our lives. I don't believe that God belongs in our constitution or in our government. This is how we can start truly separating church from state.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

~Stacey

P.S. Vote for Obama, too!



*edit* I just want to be clear that I'm not against religion or think that all Catholics/Christians are wing-nuts that hate gay people. I am not religious, though I grew up Catholic. I don't have problem with people believing in God. Not at all. It's just not for me. Therefore, I don't want God to be the basis for things I can or cannot do. I strongly believe that there should be a true separation of Church and State and don't believe there is enough separation. Christianity is not the only religion practiced in this country, so I don't believe that it belongs in law books or anything legally telling me how to live my life.

1 comment:

My name is Tammie said...

I got the link to your blog from my stat counter. I can't tell you how sick it makes me feel that there may even be a ban on gay marriage. I am so so so voting NO on prop 8.