Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

And for that reason, I'll never know why I didn't get that job with the storage company. I got an email today telling me that "there are no manager positions available" for me to take but they will old onto my resume "just in case anything else comes up."

So one of two things happened here: 1) They realized just how overqualified I am and know that I would be asking for more pay before too long; or 2) Someone they talked to about me gave me a bad review and made me look bad.

Whatever. I guess it's back to the drawing board. I still have resumes out and pending, but I've gotten no call-backs from any of them as of yet.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be forced into moving in with my parents. That's just so awesome - a 30-year-old woman having to move back home with Mommy and Daddy. That's going to work great for my dating life.


Thursday, February 4, 2010

Interviews suck, but I rocked this one.

At 1pm today, I had a phone interview with the Director of Operations for a storage company in Las Vegas. It went extremely well. I really asserted myself and showcased my skills as a manager in order to get a resident manager position with the company instead of just a relief manager position. The DOO really liked me and is going to see what he can do to put me directly into a store. Luckily 2 resident managers just gave notice to quit, so that helps me greatly.

I think this was one of the best interviews I've ever had. Having it over the phone (and being dressed in pajamas) was awesome because there was no intimidation factor. I was able to get out what I needed to say and not get flustered.

I'm not too jazzed about the hourly pay rate, but there does seem to be a great bonus program that will help off-set it.

Worst case scenario, if I can't get directly into a store right away, I may accept a relief position on a short term basis (a month or 2 tops) before moving into a resident manager position. If that's the case, I'm begging my friend Joyce to live with her until I get my place. :::doe eyes::: Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

Best case scenario, I get in there at the beginning of March and get a resident manager position right away and don't have to put anyone out.

I do still need to get a car and since I'd have to pay to move myself there (they don't pay to relocate), I'll only have about $500 to spend (moving is going to cost about $500). I'll probably have to ask my dad for some money, but I'll be able to pay him back with my first couple of paychecks.

In any case, it really looks like I'll be a Las Vegas resident by April. Yay! =o)

Cross your fingers for me!!

Monday, February 1, 2010


So here's what's going on with me:

I have 2 months to find a new place to live. Jenn informed me last Sunday that she's going to be quitting her job and moving in with Shauna and Cole in April (when their current lease is up). This leaves me homeless.

I'm currently trying to find another storage job, but I haven't heard anything yet. I think I sent out 8 - 10 resumes last week to jobs here in CA (as far south as San Diego), Oregon, Nevada (Vegas), and Washington state. I don't even have a car right now and that's going to hinder my job search.

If I don't find something before April 1st, I'm going to have to put my stuff in storage and sleep on my parents couch until I figure out what I can do. At least my boss is doing her best to help keep me in a job no matter what happens. Tomorrow I interview with a manager at a different store so I can move into a permanent Customer Sales Lead position somewhere within the company. At least this way, even if I have to move in with my parents, I can still have some kind of income.

I'm still worried, though. I know I have 2 months, but this first week has already gone by so quickly. I probably wouldn't be as worried if I didn't have my cats to take care of. I can't give them up. I refuse. They are my life and I can't imagine giving them away. I've had Bubba since he was about 3 weeks old. I've only had Peanut for 3 years, but she's already gone through several homes and she's just the sweetest little cat and I can't imagine rehoming her again.

I'm even willing to relocate to another state to find a job! I don't want that to happen, really, but I have to go where the jobs are.

I got my W2 today and Jenn did a rough draft of my taxes. It looks like I'm getting about $1000 total back and that's pretty much all going to go to buying me a car. It's not going to be a pretty car, but it'll be a car that'll get me from Point A to Point B. It's just going to be something so I can say that I have reliable transportation.

I wish I had an "in" somewhere. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone in the storage business anymore.

Ugh! This sucks! I've started smoking again because of the stress. Not very much, but I'm still smoking.

I don't hold any animosity towards Jenn at all. I was working towards this anyway, but now I've got a very short deadline to work with. The only thing that makes me mad is that she knew about this plan for 3 weeks before she told me. Those 3 weeks could have been critical for me. Then again, maybe they're not. Perhaps those 3 weeks won't matter in the long run. I'm just freaking out.

Anyway...this is what's going on with me. If anyone wants to adopt me and my 2 orange kitties, please let me know! We're all housebroken!