Saturday, May 2, 2009

Fat Ass!!

Ok, so I just need to vent for a minute.

I'm watching yesterday's Oprah. Her featured guest is Kirstie Alley. The topic: Kirstie's weight gain after she lost 75 pounds on Jenny Craig.

Why am I upset? Because this is just further telling women of the world that we are worthless if we aren't a size 2! This is absolutely disgusting. We've watched Oprah's weight go to extremes in both directions over the 20 years she's been on television. We understand that women struggle with weight issues, but why is that?

BECAUSE SOCIETY TELLS US WE'RE EVIL, DISGUSTING SLOTHS!!!

This isn't true!! Women were once praised for having curves - it was a sign of health and wealth. Now women who are so skinny that you can see their ribs and their collar bones, hip bones, and shoulder bones stick out are the ones that we are supposed to aspire to be.

It's complete bullshit!!

Everyone's body is different. Not everyone can actually be a size 2. Or even a size 4. Hell, not even a size 10! Not every body wants to be that weight!

I've struggled with my weight nearly my whole life. Since I was 10, I've been called every fat name in the book because I wasn't "normal" or "attractive" to other people. It wasn't until I was far into my 20's that I realized that if someone doesn't like me for what I look like, then they can go somewhere else!

My body likes to hover around 250 pounds. Now I realize that I am out of shape. I can't run a 5k. Hell, I can't run 50 feet. But why do I need to run 50 feet unless it's from some axe murderer? I've had bloodwork done. My cholesterol is just fine! My triglycerides are just fine! The ONLY issue is that my blood pressure is slightly elevated, but you know why? Because I smoke. Yes I plan on quitting, but that'll be on my own time.

My body is just comfortable at this weight.

I once weight 195 pounds. That was when I was 18 and I spent the summer before my senior year at fat camp. I worked out 6+ hours a day and ate 1100 calories a day. THAT'S NOT REALISTIC!! I have to fight so hard to be skinny to appeal to the world, but you know what? I DON'T CARE WHAT THE WORLD SAYS!! AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU!!

If you feel the need FOR YOURSELF to be thin because it's what makes YOU feel better, then do it. But do it for yourself and yourself only! Do not do it for someone else!

Often I do wish that I weighed less, but only by 10 or 15 pounds (cuz that's what I've gained since I stopped working and my pants are a little snug). Occasionally I wish that I was a size 10, but that's ONLY because finding cute clothes in larger sizes can be difficult (but that's going to be less of an issue once Revolution1228 is launched!!).

But, honestly, 95% of the time I am perfectly happy with the way I look and often think I'm hot.

Now, all that being said, if you're at an unhealthy weight - where you can't walk or drive a car or your cholesterol is through the roof - then obviously you need to lose a few pounds for your health. But if you're overweight AND otherwise completely healthy, then take a good look at yourself and tell your reflection that you are beautiful and you don't need to change!

I'm so sick of seeing so many women put themselves down because they're not thin enough for some guy, or not thin enough to be an entertainer, or not thin enough for any reason influenced by the outside world.

The number 1 opinion about yourself that you should value is your own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Helene said...

I'm glad you feel comfortable with your body image! I think that is so important, esp when society seems to promote stick-thin actresses and models.

I didn't catch Kirstie Alley on Oprah. I wondered about her since I've seen Valerie Bertinelli all over the commercials with no sign of Kirstie Alley.

Stacey said...

It's taken a long time to come to terms with how I look, but getting those bloodwork results back helped. I also came across a plus-sized model named Mia Tyler (Stephen Tyler's daughter) who promoted self- and size-acceptance. There was also a plus-sized burlesque troop I was a small part of for about a year in my mid-20's. All of that helped me realize just how obsessed the media (and society) is with being thin.

From what she said on Oprah, once Valerie Bertinelli came onto the Jenny Craig scene, Kirstie stopped working out because she hit her goal, so she started to cheat once in a while and it snowballed from there. She's now determined to get bikini ready by the end of the year. I think she's setting herself up for failure again, but I wish her the best.