Friday, January 15, 2010

Doing some good

So last week I had decided I was going to do the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure 60-Mile walk.

In the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti and donating what money I could at the moment, I started thinking about who else I could be helping by donating my money and time. I decided that rather than be a fundraiser for myself for the Komen walk, I'll be a volunteer for the cause and donate money to someone who is walking. I decided to also volunteer for the SF AIDS Walk this summer and donate my money to my friend Jimmy should he walk it again (he did it last year and the year before). I'm also going to be looking for ways to donate my time on a weekly or monthly basis since I think my free time could be better appreciated by me helping someone else than sitting on my butt playing around on Facebook.

I'm also committing myself to donate 10% of my income to charity. Currently that's only going to be $100, but every little bit helps, right? I figure I can give up my Starbucks a couple times a week and, instead, give that money to someone who could really use it. As broke as I may feel, there are people out there who are literally starving to death and my $2.65 could go to someone and feed them for a whole week.

No comments: