Monday, July 28, 2008

large families

I just have to get this off my chest...I saw 2 articles today about families that are extremely large and still growing. One was about the Duggars from Arkansas. They just announced that baby #18 is on the way. Then there was an article on SFGate.com about a Canadian couple (who emigrated from Romania) who just welcomed their 18th child.

Frankly, I think if these people are able to take care of their children and raise them without government help or strain on anyone outside their family, then good for them. No one has the right to tell them they can't have that many kids.

Unfortunately, all I seem to find are comments calling these people breeders (I detest that term, btw) and saying they're awful people for having so many children. One person on the SFGate site even said that abortions should be mandatory after you have 2 children. There is so much disgusting hate in those comments that I had to stop reading.

I don't understand why childfree people have to push their agenda on those of us who want kids. Why does my want for 2 or 3 kids make me a breeder and an evil person for bringing new life onto our "over populated" planet? It's no one else's business how many children I have if I even have any UNLESS I am on public assistance. If these people with a gaggle of children were on welfare, I'd jump on the bandwagon and say they needed to be stopped. But the Duggars are 100% debt free and don't take hand outs.

It makes me so flippin mad when people are so hateful - especially against people or subjects that are close to my heart. Having children is one of those things. Immigration is one of those things (I'm pro-immigration and making things easier for people to come to this country). Gay Marriage is one of those things (I'm all for it. Consenting adults should have the right to marry whomever they love.). But even when things aren't directly related to me, I don't understand how badly people hate.

And I really don't understand those people who hide their hate behind religion - like Fred Phelps and his gang. They use their religion to promote hate. They say God Hates ____(fill in the blank, they've got lots of them). But isn't God supposed to be All Loving? Aren't we all Children Of God? Didn't he create us to be reflections of himself? This is why I have issue with organized religion - I don't want to be grouped in with these hate mongers.

Ugh. Ok. I need to stop. I could really go on forever, but my blood pressure has come down enough for me to function again. LOL.

No comments: