Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Raising Sextuplets

So there's this new multiples show on WE.tv called Rai.sing Sex.tuplets.

Have you seen it? I have. And I don't know that I can continue to watch it. The mom, Jenny, is completely passive and let the kids rule the roost. The dad, Bryan, seems to be self centered and very immature, yet sometimes seems to be the sound of reason in that house. Generally, though, these two seem like bumbling idiots that have no idea what they're doing.

Yes, I completely understand that parenting multiples is difficult. Yes, I understand that being a first-time parent is a series of trial and error. Yes, I understand that I have no children of my own so I really have no voice of authority here. However, I know that there are things that they do that I would NEVER do, and things that they do that I would do completely different because my way makes sense.

For example: When mom gets the babies up, she takes them all out of their cribs at the same time and lets them loose in the livingroom (where there are no gates separating them from the rest of the house as far as i can tell) and changes all their diapers on the floor with all the other kids running around and over the one getting his diaper changed. (I would take them out one at a time, change their diaper, set them in the feeding table, then get the next one, then get them all breakfast.)

Another example: When the mom has to get all the kids into their van to go somewhere, she takes all of them out front and puts one or two in the van, buckles them while there's at least one other kid running around the unfenced yard. Yes, I said unfenced. Sure, they live on a culdesac, but it's still no excuse. (Yeah, I'd take them out of the house one or two at a time and get them both in the van & strapped in, then go back for more...you can't leave a 16-month-old running around a yard that's not fenced in)

Another: When mom goes to work, dad takes care of the kids. As soon as she gets home, (or just a few hours later if she works a night shift {she's a nurse}) she takes over and he walks away. When she stays home all day to take care of the kids while he works, he comes home and doesn't want to change diapers because he works all day. Or one time he came home on his lunch break and she asked him to change a diaper and he refused because he doesn't normally come home at lunch, so why should he have to? (Yeah, I'd be telling my partner to GTFO if they're not going to help. I refuse to be a single parent in a 2 parent home.)

Another: They got a real Christmas tree and decorated it with unbreakable ornaments, however, they didn't gate off the tree in any way, and put it in a corner between 2 couches. The kids have complete access to the entire tree, could pull it down, get into the water, etc. (Yeah..NO! The tree needs to be out of reach of little hands.)

Another: They stayed in a hotel and the camera guy got a shot of one of the babies in the bathroom alone, in the tub, trying to turn on the faucet. The parents were in the main part of the room with a couple of the other kids trying to get them dressed or something. (Umm...try closing the door or corralling them all into pack-n-plays so they don't get into things when you're not paying full attention - especially in an unfamiliar environment!)

There's really so much more as to why it's so difficult for me, you really have to watch it to see what I'm talking about.

I really hate to down talk anyone's parenting, especially because I'm not a parent, but I'm honestly flabbergasted at some of the things that happen in this household.

Ugh..someone please tell me I'm not just being a bitch and that this lady and her husband really are kinda dumb and shouldn't really have those kids. Or, at the very least, should take parenting classes or something?

Oh..and someone needs to give the mom some free dental. Her underbite is so gross!!! That's like the worst kind of oral imperfection for me. LOL. I can't stand underbites. LOL


P.S. If you are offended by what I have said, please read the disclaimer at the bottom of the blog page. Thanks.

1 comment:

Helene said...

I've only seen that show a couple times and I can't really watch it anymore after the whole Jon and Kate debacle. I'm just so tired of these families getting their own tv shows.

I'm sure it's tough having sextuplets and they're probably learning as they go but some of the things you have mentioned sound like serious safety issues.

It's probably just a matter of time until the media start picking them apart too. It'll happen...just wait.